March 2007 – The Local member for Cook, Jason O’Brien and the Dot Com Mob, sought support from the Minister for Art, Education and Training to open an Indigenous Knowledge Centre (IKC) in Hope Vale where the Community Technology Centre could be part of a more comprehensive Community Learning Centre.
The aims of the Hope Vale Indigenous Knowledge and Technology Centre will be to:
1. support recording, sharing and secure access for local Indigenous knowledge,
2. provide access to knowledge from the wider world via the Internet and other materials,
3. raise literacy, information literacy skills and Information and Communication Technology (ITC) skills across the community by providing exposure and access to training and materials,
4. offer training and support to community members engaged in gathering and recording cultural knowledge,
5. create opportunities for the kind of recreational activities that can be encompassed in a library setting, for groups across the community.